Thoracic surgery has developed into a specialist field in its own right as surgery has become increasingly specialised. It focuses on the evaluation and treatment of ailments affecting the chest wall, pleura, lungs and mediastinum In this field, as in other areas of surgery, minimally invasive "keyhole surgery" has become widespread.
Thoracoscopy not only serves as a diagnostic tool (lung, pleura or lymph node biopsies) but also as a therapeutic procedure, e.g. for treating a collapsed lung (pneumothorax) or a malignant pleural effusion.
Lung cancer treatments involving lung flap removal are also increasingly performed by thoracoscopy. In these fields, we work in close interdisciplinary cooperation with the specialist teams of our oncology and pneumology departments, as well as with the Luzerner Kantonsspital (= Lucerne Cantonal Hospital) as central clinic.
- Thoracoscopy or open surgery of complex pleurisy
- Lung cancer surgery
- Minimally invasive biopsy of lung and pleura by thoracoscopy for diagnostic purposes
- Mediastinoscopy to evaluate and take biopsies of the mediastinum
- Thoracoscopy treatment of pathological sweating from hands and armpits
- Surgical stabilisation of complex rib fractures or pseudoarthrosis
Book an appointment
T +41 41 399 47 60
F +41 41 399 47 61